Arcadia Wildlife Sanctuary
Spanning Easthampton and Northampton, Arcadia’s diverse terrain (forest, meadows, grasslands, marsh, and wetlands) attracts an extraordinary variety of wildlife. You will also find a thriving population of wildflowers, thanks to its rich, loamy soil, which is characteristic of the Connecticut River floodplain.
- Rope-guided universally accessible Sensory Trail, with interpretation available in seasonal audio tours, large print, Braille, and tactile formats.
- Canoeing or kayaking on the Mill River though Arcadia or along the Connecticut River, where you’re likely to see a variety of wildlife.
- Observation tower and wetland boardwalk, which offer wildlife viewing opportunities in sensitive habitats.
- Nature play area, where kids can build fairy homes, add to or a tepee made of black locust and grapevine branches, or master the stump jump.
- Great blue heron rookery with up to 60 nests and nesting bald eagles.